Preparing for Prayer
Before starting the prayer, a person is required to achieve cleanliness (Taharah) by ,
- Performing Wudu (ablution).
- Taking Bath (ghusul).
- Wearing clean clothes with Islamic requirements.
- Selecting a place of prayer facing Kabah
Types of Ablution:
- Partial Ablution or Wudu - Consists of cleaning parts of body that
are exposed to dirt, dust or elements of nature.
- Complete Ablution - Consists of performing complete Bath followed by
Wudu . During Bath, every part of the body is cleansed. It is required
after intimate intercourse, after wet dreams or discharge or after the expiration of
mensturation period for women.
- Tayammum (Dry Ablution) - Tayammum, in certain circumstances can be a substitute for a complete Bath & Wudu. It is done by touching on clean earth, sand or stone and then wiping the face and then both hands to the wrists, when water is not available
or is not practical to make use of water.
Steps in performing Partial Ablution (Wudu).
- Declare the intention that the act is for the purpose of worship &
Start by saying:
"In the Name of Allah"
- Wash the hands up to the wrists, three times.
- Rinse out the mouth with water, three times.
- Cleanse the nostrils by sniffing water
into them by the right hands & then eject the
water with left hand, three times.
- Wash the whole face three times with both hands,
from the top of the forehead to the bottom
of the chin and from ear to ear.
- Wash the right arm three times up to the forend of the elbow,
and then do the same with the left arm
- Wipe the whole head with a wet hand, once.
- Wipe the inner sides of the ears with the forefingers and
their outer sides with the thumb. This should be done with
- Wash the two feet up to the ankles, three times, beginning
with the right foot and then the left foot.
The process ends with the recitation of the "Kalima-Shahadah"
ASH-HADU ALLA ILAHA ILLALLAHU WA-ASH-HADU
AN-NA MUHAMMADAN ABDUHU-WA-RASULUH.
(I declare there is no god except Allah and I declare Mohammed is the messenger of Allah)
At this stage the partial ablution is completed and a person who has
performed it in the prescribed manner is ready to start his prayer.
Note: Nullification of partial ablution
Partial ablution has to be repeated before performing prayers in cases
of going to the bathroom. passing gas, vomiting or falling asleep.
Before offering your salat make sure you are properly dressed. For
men and boys, the dress should be such that it covers their body from
the navel to the knees at least.
Women are required to cover themselves from head to foot, leaving only
the face and hands uncovered. The dress for salat must be clean and free
from all filth.
Wherever a person might be, one can turn towards Allah in salat and
The Prophet has said, "The (whole of the) earth has been rendered
for me a mosque: pure and clean". Preferably salat is to be offered
in jamaat - congregation.
Whenever possible, one should pray facing the Kabah, Makkah.