Short Chapters of the Holy Quran for Memorization
As it has been mentioned earlier, the performance of five-time prayers is
obligatory. Reciting Al-Fatihah (the opening chapter of the Holy
Quran) and some verses or a short surah (chapter) in Arabic is
obligatory too. Learning the proper Arabic pronunciation of these verses
and understanding their meanings is also essential.
However, there is no true substitute for a teacher. Therefore, it is
advisable to have your recitation checked by a teacher of the Holy Quran
at the first available chance.
Al-Fatihah, or the Opening Chapter
- Bismillah e errahman e erraheem
- Al humdo lil-lahi rab-bil al ala-meen.
- Arrahman i erraheem.
- Maliki yaum i eddeen.
- Iyyaka nabudu wa iyyaka nasta een.
- Ihdina assirata al mustaqeem.
- Sirata allazhina anamta alaihim, ghairil maghdubi alaihim, wa la adhdhaal leen.
- In the Name of Allah, the Beneficent, the Merciful.
- Praise be to Allah, the Cherisher and Sustainer of the Worlds;
- Most Gracious, Most Merciful;
- Master of the Day of Judgment.
- Thee do we worship, and Thine aid we seek.
- Show us the straight way, the way of those on whom Thou hast bestowed Thy Grace,
those whose (portion) is not wrath, and who go not astray. (Amen)
Al-Asr, or Time Through the Ages
- Inna al insaana la fee khusr
- ella allazheena aamanu wa amilu ssalihati,
- wa tawasau bilhaqqi watawasau bi assabr.
- By (the token of) Time (through the ages)
- Verily Man is in loss;
- Except such as have Faith, and do righteous deeds, and (join
together) in the mutual teaching of Truth, and of Patience and Constancy.
Al-Kawthar, or Abundance
- Inna atainaka alkawthar
- Fasalli li rabbika wanhar
- Inna shaniaka huwa alabtar.
- To thee have We Granted the Fount (of Abundance)
- Therefore to thy Lord turn in prayer and sacrifice
- For he who hateth thee, He will be cut off (from future hope).
An-Nasr, or Help
- Izha ja a nasru Allah i wa alfath,
- Waraita annasa yadkhuloona fee deen e illahi afwaja
- Fa subbih bi hamdi rabbika wa estaghfirho, innahoo kana tawwaba.
- When comes the Help of Allah and Victory,
- And thou dost see the People enter Allah's Religion in crowds,
- Then Celebrate the Praises of thy Lord, and pray for his Forgiveness
- For He is Oft-Returning (in Grace and Mercy).
Al-Ikhlas, or Purity (of Faith)
- Qul, how Allah u ahad
- Allah u ssamad
- Lam yalid wa lam yoolad
- Wa lam yakun lahu kufuwan ahad.
- Say "He is Allah, The One and Only,
- "Allah. the Eternal, Absolute;
- "He begetteth not, nor is He begotten;
- "And there is none like unto Him.
Al-Falaq or The Dawn
- Qul aoozhu bi rubbil falaq; min sharri ma khalaq
- Wa min sharri ghasiqin Izha waqub
- Wa min sharri ennaffathati fi el oqad
- Wa min sharri hasidin izha hasud.
- Say : "I seek refuge with the Lord of the Dawn,
- "From the mischief of created things;
- "From the mischief of Darkness as it overspreads;
- "From the mischief of those who practice Secret Arts
- "And from the mischief of the envious one as he practices envy."
An-Nas, or The Mankind
- Qul aoozhu bi rubbi enaas
- Maliki ennaas
- Ilahi ennaas
- Min sharri elwaswasil khannaas
- Allazhi yuwasswiso fee sudoori ennaas
- Min aljinnati wa annaas.
- Say: "I seek refuge with the Lord and Cherisher of Mankind,
- "The King (or Ruler) of mankind,
- "The Lord (or Judge) of mankind,
- "From the mischief of the whisperer (of Evil), who withdraws (after his
- "(The same) who whispers into the hearts of Mankind,
Jinns and among men."