THIS LONG chapter contains 176 verses arranged in twenty-four sections which date from the fourth year that the Prophet spent in Madina, or 625-6 A.D. It was revealed after Examining Her 60 and before The Earthquake 99, and it deals with women's rights and conditions after the battle of Uhud 3 / 625. These concern marriage laws (I & IV), and how to treat women, as the title itself suggests; in fact, the word "women" echoes constantly throughout this chapter.
It also takes up the subject of orphans (I & XIX), especially those girls left after the battle of Uhud, men's duty in maintaining their own households (VI), and matrimonial rifts (VI & XIX). Inheritance is also dealt with (I-II, XXIV). Sexual offences form a further theme (III), as does etiquette and politeness (XI). The sin of Association is mentioned several times (VI, VII & XVIII). Conditions for prayer are stated (VII) and the problem of performing prayers during warfare when they are probably most needed, is worked out (XV). Manslaughter and murder come up in XIII. We are told to obey constituted authority (VIII), and to strive to please God (X). Lackeys or 'Yesmen" are described in XX, while the Jews are mentioned in XXII.
In the name of God, the Mercy-giving, the Merciful!
(I)* Mankind, heed your Lord Who has created you from a single soul, and created its mate from it, and propagated so many men and women from them both. Heed God through Whom you hold one another responsible, as well as any ties of kinship. God is Watching over you.
Orphans and Marriage
* Give orphans their property and do not substitute something bad for something good nor swallow up their wealth along with your own wealth. It would be a great outrage. * If you are afraid you will not deal fairly with orphans, then marry off such women as may seem good to you, in pairs, or three or four [at a time]. If you [still] fear you will not act justly, then [marry] one woman [only] or someone your right hand controls. That is more likely to keep you from committing an injustice. * Give women their marriage portions with no strings attached. If they themselves waive some of it for you, then consume it at leisure and with good cheer.
** Do not give the feebleminded your property which God has granted you for [their] support; provide for them out of it, and clothe them and address them decently. * Test orphans as soon as they reach a marriageable age. If you are sure of their maturity, then turn their property over to them; do not use it up extravagantly, over-anxious lest they should grow up. Anyone who is rich should restrain himself, while anyone who is poor may live off it in decency. Whenever you hand their property over to them, have it witnessed for them. God suffices as a Reckoner!
* Men shall have a portion of whatever parents and near relatives leave, while women should have a portion of whatever parents and near relatives leave; no matter how small nor how large it is, a portion is stipulated. * When near relatives, orphans and paupers are present at the probate, provide for them out of it and speak politely to them. * Let anyone act cautiously just as they themselves would fear to leave helpless offspring behind; let them heed God and speak in a proper manner.
** Those who live off orphans' property without having any right to do so will only suck up fire into their bellies, and they will (eventually) roast in a blaze!
(II)* God instructs you concerning your children: a son should have a share equivalent to that of two daughters. If the women [left behind] are more than two, then two-thirds of whatever he leaves belongs to them; yet if there is only one, then she has half. Both his parents shall each receive a sixth of whatever he may leave, if he had a son. If he had no son, and both his parents inherit from him, then his mother receives a third. If he has siblings, then his mother will have a sixth, once the will or any [outstanding] debt has been settled. You do not know whether your parents or your children are closer to you in usefulness, as an obligation [laid down] by God, for God is Aware, Wise.
* You will have half of anything your wives leave, provided they have no child. If they should leave a child, then you will have a fourth of whatever they may leave, once the will has been settled or any [outstanding] debt; while they [your widows] will have a fourth of anything you leave provided you have left no child. Should you have a child, then they will have an eighth of anything you leave, after settling any legacy or debt. If either a man or a woman bequeaths anything to more distant kin while he still has a brother or sister, then each one of them will have a sixth. If there are more than that, then they should be partners in a third after settling any legacy or debt, yet without causing any hardship. It is an instruction from God; God is Aware, Lenient.
* These are God's limits. Anyone who obeys God and His messenger will be admitted to gardens through which rivers flow, to live there for ever. That will be the supreme Achievement! * Anyone who disobeys God and His messenger and oversteps His limits, will be shown into a Fire to live there for ever; he will have humiliating torment.
(III)** Should any of your women commit some sexual offence, collect evidence about them from four [persons] among yourselves. If they so testify, then confine the women to their houses until death claims them or God grants them some other way out. * If two of you should indulge in it, trounce them both. If they repent and reform, then ostracize them both. God is Relenting, Merciful.
* Repentance holds with God only for those who do evil out of ignorance, then repent shortly after; those God turns to. God is Aware,Wise.
* Repentance is not for those who perform evil deeds until one of them says: "I have just now repented!", just as death faces him. Nor is it for those who die while they are disbelievers; for those We reserved painful torment.
Marriage and Divorce
* You who believe, it is not lawful for you to inherit anything from women against their will; do not hinder them from remarrying so that you may make off with part of what you have given them, unless they indulge in flagrant sexual misconduct. Treat them politely; even if you dislike them, perhaps you dislike something in which God has placed much good. ** If you want to exchange one wife for another, and have given one of them a large sum of money, do not hold back any of it. Would you withhold it through slander and open sin? How can you hold it back when you have had intercourse with each other, and they have made a solemn agreement with you? * Do not marry any women whom your fathers have already married, unless this is a thing of the past; it is a shocking act and disgusting, and the worst possible way.
(IV)* Forbidden to you [in marriage] are your mothers, your [own] daughters, your sisters, your aunts on your father's side as well as your aunts on your mother's side, and your brother's and your sister's daughter your foster mothers and your foster sisters, your mothers-in-law and step daughters who are under your guardianship [since their mothers are] wives of yours with whom you have consummated marriage (however if you have not consummated it with them, it will not be held against you), and the wives of your sons who are your own flesh-and-blood; nor may you bring two sisters together [under one roof] unless this is a thing of the past. God is Forgiving, Merciful.
(IV cont'd) * Nor [should you marry] any [already] married women, except the ones under your control. [Such is] God's legislation as it applies to you. Anything beyond that is lawful for you, provided you court them by means of your wealth, marrying them properly, rather than taking them on as mistresses. Since you have thereby sought enjoyment with them, give them their marriage portions as is stipulated. Yet it will not be held against you should you come to other terms about it even after what has been stipulated. God is Aware, Wise.
** Any of you who cannot afford to marry respectable believing matrons, should then [seek] one of your believing maids under your control. God is quite Aware as to what your faith consists of. Each one of you has ties to others, so marry them off with their family's consent and give them their marriage portions decently as matrons rather than taking them on as mistresses, nor having [any secret affairs with] them as girlfriends. Once they are so married off and should they then commit some sexual offence, they should have half the punishment that [ordinary] matrons would receive. That goes for any of you who worries lest he may. not control his (sexual] impulses; however it is better for you to discipline yourselves. God is Forgiving, Merciful.
(V)* God wants to explain things to you (all) and to guide you in the customs of those who have preceded you. He turns to you; God is Wise.
* God wants to turn to you,
while those who follow their own passions
want you to give in utterly.
* God wants to lighten things for you,
since man was created weak!
*You who believe, do not use up your wealth idly, [squandering it] on one another, unless it is for some business based on mutual consent among you. Do not kill one another; God has been Merciful towards you! ** We shall roast anyone in a Fire who does so out of enmity and wrongfully. That will be easy for God [to do]!
* If you will avoid the great [sins] you are forbidden [to commit], We will cancel out your [other] evil deeds for you, and send you into [Paradise] through a noble entrance.
*Do not envy the way that God has made some of you excel over others: men should have a portion of whatever they have earned, while women should have a portion of whatever they have earned. Ask God for some of His bounty; God is Aware of everything. * For everyone We have placed executors for whatever either parents and close relatives may leave. Give their share to those whom you have sworn to trust; God is a Witness of everything!
A Man's Responsibility
(VI)* Men are the ones who should support women since God has given some persons advantages over others, and because they should spend their wealth [on them]. Honorable women are steadfast, guarding the Unseen just as God has it guarded.
Admonish those women whose surliness you fear, and leave them alone in their beds, and [even] beat them [if necessary]. If they obey you, do not seek any way [to proceed] against them. God is Sublime, Great. ** If you fear a split between a man and his wife, send for an arbiter from his family and an arbiter from her family. If both want to be reconciled, God will arrange things between them. God is Aware, Informed. * Worship God [Alone] and do not associate anything with Him.
Kindness and Charity
Show kindness to both [your] parents and with near relatives, orphans, the needy, the neighbor who is related [to you] as well as the neighbor who is a stranger, and your companion by your side and the wayfarer, and anyone else under your control. God does not love someone who is conceited, boastful, * nor those who are tight-fisted and order [other] people to be stingy, and hide anything that God has given them out of His bounty. We have reserved humiliating torment for disbelievers* who spend their wealth to be seen by other people and yet neither believe in God nor the Last Day. Anyone who has Satan for an intimate has such an evil soulmate! * What does it matter for them whether they believe in God and the Last Day and spend something from what God has supplied them with? God is Aware of them!
** God does not harm anything so much as an atom's weight: if a fine deed exists, he multiplies it and adds a splendid fee from Himself besides. * How would it be if We were to bring a witness from every nation, and bring you as a witness against such people? * On that day those who have disbelieved and defied the Messenger would like to have the earth leveled off while they are still [standing] on it! They will not hide anything that happens from God!
Conditions for Prayer
(VII)* You who believe, do not attempt to pray while you are drunk, until you know what you are saying; nor after a seminal emission - except when traveling along some road-until you take a full bath. If you are ill or on a journey, or one of you has come from the toilet, or has had contact with any women, and you do not find any water, then pick up some wholesome soil and wipe your faces and your hands with it. God is Pardoning, Forgiving.
Jews and Christians
* Have you not watched those who were given a portion of the Book? They buy up error and want you to lose your Way. ** God is quite Aware as to who your enemies are; God suffices as a Patron, and God suffices as a Supporter.
* Some persons who are Jews lift words out of their context and say: "We have heard and disobeyed;" and "Hear without listening" or "Lead us on!", twisting their tongues around and stabbing at religion as if they had [really] said: "We have heard and obeyed," and "Hear!" and "Watch over us!", which would be better for them and more straightforward; however God has cursed them for their disbelief, since only a few believe. * You who have received the Book, believe in what We have sent down to you as a confirmation of what you already have, lest We dazzle your faces and set them on backwards, or curse them just as We cursed the masters of the Sabbath. God's command must be fulfilled!
* God does not forgive anyone for associating something with Him, while He does forgive whomever He wishes to for anything besides that. Anyone who gives God associates has invented such an awful offence!
* Have you not seen those who purify themselves? Indeed God will purify anyone He wishes to, and they will not be harmed one bit. ** Look how they invent a lie about God! That is enough in itself as a clear offence.
(VIII)* Have you not watched those who were given a portion of the Book? They believe in witchcraft and arrogant leaders and tell those who disbelieve: "Those are better guided to a way than are the ones who believe." * Those are the ones whom God has cursed; anyone God has cursed will never find a supporter for himself * Or have they any share in control? Why, they will not give a speck to anybody!
* Or do they envy people because of what God has given them out of His bounty? We already gave Abraham's family the Book and wisdom, and
We gave them splendid control. ** Some of them believed in it while others of them blocked it out. Hell will suffice as a blaze! * Those who disbelieve in Our signs We will roast in a Fire: each time their hides are toasted, We shall exchange them for some other skins so they may taste the torment [again]. God is Powerful, Wise. * We will show those who believe and perform honorable actions into gardens through which rivers flow, to live there for ever; they will have clean-living spouses there, and We will show them into shady nooks.
Trusts and Ownership
* God orders you to restore deposits entrusted [to you] to their [rightful] owners. Whenever you judge between people, you should judge with [a sense of] justice. How superbly God instructs you to do so; God is Alert, Observant!
* You who believe, obey God and obey the Messenger and those from among you who hold command.
If you should quarrel over anything, refer it to God and the Messenger if you believe in God and the Last Day; that will be better, and finer in the long run.
(IX)** Have you not considered those who claim they believe in what has been sent down to you and what was sent down before you? They want to seek judgment from arrogant leaders and so they are ordered to disbelieve in it. Satan wants to lead them far astray. * Whenever someone tells them: "Come to what God has sent down, and to the Messenger," you will see hypocrites barring the way for you. How will it be when some disaster strikes them because of what their hands have already prepared? Then they will come to you swearing by God: "We only wanted to have kindness and success!" * Those are the ones whom God knows what their hearts contain, so shun them and reprove them. Give them a convincing statement about themselves.
* We have not sent any messenger unless he was to be obeyed in accordance with God's permission. If they had come to you and sought forgiveness from God whenever they harmed themselves, and the Messenger had prayed for forgiveness for them, they would have found that God is Ever-Turning, Merciful.
** Yet by your Lord, they will never believe until they name you to judge concerning what they are quarreling over among themselves; then they will find no inconvenience for themselves concerning whatever you have decided, and will accept it wholeheartedly. * If We had prescribed for them: 'Let yourselves be killed or expelled from your homes," only a few of them would have done so. If they had done what they were instructed to do, it would have been better for them, as well as more stabilizing: * then We would have given them splendid earnings from Our very presence * and guided them to a Straight Road. * Anyone who obeys God and the Messenger stands by those whom God has favored, such as prophets, loyal persons, martyrs and honorable men. How fine are such companions! ** That means bounty from God; it is enough for God to be Aware.
(X)* You who believe, take your precautions and march off in detachments, or march off all together. * Among you there are some who procrastinate. If any disaster strikes you, they say: "God has favored me, for I was not a witness along with them." * Yet if some bounty from God strikes you, he will say, as if no affection had existed between you and him: "If only I had been with them, I should have achieved something splendid!"
Striving for God's Sake
* Let those who barter worldly life for the Hereafter fight for God's sake; We shall pay a splendid fee to anyone who fights in God's way, and is either killed or is victorious. ** Why should you not fight for God's sake when men, women and children who are considered helpless say: "Our Lord, lead us out of this town whose people are so oppressive, and grant us a patron from Your presence and grant us a supporter from Your presence!" * Those who believe, fight in God's way, while those who disbelieve fight in the way of the arrogant ones; therefore fight Satan's patrons. Satan's plot is weak.
(XI)* Have you not watched those who have been told: "Restrain your hands, keep up prayer and pay the welfare tax"? Yet whenever any fighting is prescribed for them, then a group of them feel afraid of people just as they should be afraid of God, or they are even more afraid. They say: "Our Lord, why have You prescribed fighting for us? If You would only postpone it for a little while longer!"
Good and Evil
SAY: "Worldly enjoyment means little while the Hereafter is better for anyone who does his duty. You will not be wronged a bit. * Wherever you may be, death shall still overtake you even though you are in well-built towers." Yet if something fine happens to them, they say: "This is from God;" while if something bad happens to them, they say: "This is because of you!" SAY: "Everything comes from God." What is wrong with such folk that they scarcely understand why anything happens?
* Any good that happens to you comes from God, while anything bad that happens to you is through yourself.
We have sent you as a Messenger to [instruct] mankind; and God suffices as a Witness. ** Anyone who obeys the Messenger has obeyed God [Himself], while We have not sent you to be a taskmaster set up over anyone who turns away.
* They will say: "At your orders!", yet when they show up somewhere else than with you, a faction of them will spend the night at something quite different from what you tell [them to do]. God writes down whatever they do at night, so avoid them and rely on God. God suffices as a Trustee.
* Have they not meditated on the Reading? If it had come from some other source than God, they would have found a great deal of contradiction in it.
* Whenever some order concerning [public] safety or fear comes to them, they broadcast it. If they would only refer it to the Messenger and those among them who hold command, those of them who investigate matters would have known about it. If it had not been for God's bounty and mercy towards you, all but a few would have followed Satan; * so fight for God's sake, since you are only held responsible for yourself. Encourage believers; perhaps God will fend off the violence of those who disbelieve. God is Strongest when things come to violence and Sternest in punishment.
Etiquette OR Politeness
** Anyone who intercedes in a fine manner shall have a share in it, while someone who intercedes in an evil way will be held liable for it. God is a Developer for everything. * Whenever you are welcomed with some greeting, then answer back with something finer than it, or [at least] return it. God is a Reckoner for everything.
* God, there is no deity except Him. He will bring you all together Resurrection Day there is no doubt about it. Who is more reliable than God as a Narrator?
(XII)* Why should you take both sides concerning hypocrites? God has discarded them because of what they have earned. Do you want to guide someone whom God has let go astray? Anyone whom God lets go astray will never find a way back to Him. * They would love for you disbelieve just as they disbelieve, so you will be exactly like them.
Do not adopt sponsors from among them until they migrate along God's way. If they should ever turn against you, then seize them and kill them wherever you may find them. Do not adopt any sponsor nor supporter from among them, ** except those who join a folk with who you have a treaty or who come to you because their breasts shrink from fighting you or fighting with their own people. If God so wished, He would have given them authority over you so that they would have fought you. Yet if they keep aloof from you and do not fight you, and they propose peace to you, God does not grant you any way against them.
* You will find others who want to feel safe from you as well as safe from their own people, yet every time they come upon another chance for dissension, they plunge into it. If they neither keep aloof from you nor yet propose peace to you and hold back their hands, then take them and sly them wherever you may run across them. Over such persons We have given you clear authority.
(XIII)* No believer should kill any other believer unless it happens by mistake. Anyone who kills a believer by mistake should free believing captive and deliver blood-money to his family unless they forego it as an act of charity. If he was from a nation which is at war with you and yet he was a believer, then free a believing captive; while if he were from a people with whom you have a treaty, then it means blood-money should be delivered to his family and freeing a believing captive. Anyone who does not find the wherewithal for it should fast for two consecutive months as penance from God. God is Aware, Wise!
* Anyone who kills a believer deliberately will receive as his reward [a sentence] to live in Hell for ever. God will be Angry with him and curse him, and prepare dreadful torment for him.
* You who believe, whenever you campaign for God's sake, discriminate carefully and do not tell someone who proffers you a greeting: 'You are no believer!" You crave the display of worldly life, while God holds many more prizes. That is what you were like previously, though God has showered His benefits on you; so discriminate. God is Informed about anything you do.
**Those believers who sit around and yet have no physical disability are not equal to those who strive for God's sake with their property and persons. God shows preference to those who strive with their property and persons through [higher] rank, than with those who just sit around; for each, God has promised handsome things, yet God shows preference to strivers with a better wage over those who stay at home, * such as [higher] ranks from Him, as well as forgiveness and mercy. God is Forgiving, Merciful.
(XIV)* Those whom the angels will gather up [and] tell, as they are harming themselves: "What were you [busy] with?", will say: "We were acting as weaklings on earth." They will say: 'Is not God's earth so vast you might settle down elsewhere on it?" Those will have their refuge in Hell, and how evil is such a goal * except for those men, women and children who are [really] helpless and cannot find any other means nor a they guided in any way; * those God may eventually pardon. God is Pardoning, Forgiving.
*** Anyone who migrates for God's sake will find many places for asylum and accommodation on earth. Whoever leaves his home as refugee for God's and His messenger's sake, then has death overtake him, will receive his earnings as God's responsibility. God is Forgiving, Merciful.
Prayers During Warfare
(XV)* It will not be held against you when you travel out into the world should you shorten prayer, if you fear those who disbelieve may harass you. Disbelievers are open enemies of yours.
* When you are among them, [Muhammad], and have stood up t pray in front of them, then let a squad of them stand up along with you and hold on to their weapons. Once they have bowed down on their knees then let them fall back to your rear, and another squad who have not yet prayed come up to pray along with you. Let them hold on to [both] their precautions and their weapons. Those who disbelieve would like to catch you napping with your weapons and your baggage, so they may overpower you (all) at one stroke.
Nor will it be held against you if you are bothered by rain or are ill should you lay down your weapons and take [similar] precautions for yourselves. God has prepared humiliating torment for disbelievers.
Prayer in General
*Once you have finished praying, remember God while standing, sitting and [lying] on your sides. Even when you are at leisure, still keep up prayer:
Prayer is a timely prescription for believers!
Yet do not flag in pursuit of people: if you have been suffering, then they are suffering just as keenly as you are suffering; while you expect something from God that they do not expect. God is Aware, Wise.
(XVI)** We have sent the Book down to you with the Truth so that you may judge among mankind by means of what God has shown you. Do not act as advocate for traitors; * seek forgiveness from God: God is Forgiving, Merciful, * Do not plead for those who betray themselves; God does not love anyone who has been a vicious traitor.
* They may try to hide from people while they can never hide from God: He stands alongside them when they spend the night talking about something He does not approve of; God surrounds anything they do. * There you are, those who have pleaded in favor of them during worldly life! Who will plead with God about them on Resurrection Day, will act as an agent for them?
** Anyone who commits evil or harms himself, then seeks forgiveness from God, will find God is Forgiving, Merciful; * while anyone who acquires a vice, only acquires it personally. God is Aware, Wise. * Anyone who commits a blunder or vice, then casts [the blame] against some innocent person, will burden himself with slander and flagrant vice.
(XVII)* If God's bounty and mercy had not lain upon you, a faction of them would have worried about how to lead you astray. They only lead themselves astray and do not injure you in any way. God has sent the Book and wisdom down to you and taught you what you did not know; bounty towards you has been splendid!
* There is no good in much of their intrigue except with someone who calls for charity, decency or reconciliation among people; We shall give a splendid wage to anyone who does that in pursuit of God's approval.** Anyone who splits off from the Messenger once guidance has been explained to him, and follows some path other than the believers', We shall turn over to whatever he has turned to, and lead him off to Hell. How evil is such a goal!
Association the Worst Sin
(XVIII)* God does not forgive one's associating [others] with Him; He forgives anyone He wishes to for anything beyond that. Anyone who associates [others] with God has strayed far afield. * They only appeal to females instead of to Him; they only call upon some upstart Satan!
Sata and Pagan Practices
* God cursed him, and he said: "I shall take some of Your servants as a stipulated portion; * I will lead them astray and urge them on. I will order them to slit the ears on livestock and order them to alter what God has created. Anyone who adopts Satan as a patron instead of God has obviously lost out. ** He promises them [things] and urges them on; yet Satan promises them nothing except delusion. * Those will have Hell as their refuge and find no escape from it.
Those Who Go to Paradise
* We will show the ones who believe and perform honorable gardens through which rivers flow, to live there for ever. God's true; who is more reliable in the way he speaks than God? *There is nothing in your saying 'Amens" nor in the way the People of the Book say "Amen". Anyone who commits evil will be rewarded accordingly and not find any patron nor protector for himself besides God. * Anyone who performs honorable deeds, whether it is a man or a woman, provided he is a believer, those will enter the Garden and not be speck. ** Who is finer in religion than someone who peacefully commends his person to God while he acts kindly and follows the sect of Abraham the Enquirer? God adopted Abraham as a bosom friend. * God holds whatever is in Heaven and whatever is on Earth; God embraces everything!
(XIX)* They will consult you concerning women. SAY: "God advises you about them, and what is recited to you from the Book concerning orphan women whom you have not given what was assigned to them while you are disinclined to marry them; and minor children, and supporting orphans with [all] fairness. God is Aware of any good you do.
* If some woman fears abuse or desertion by her husband, it should not be held against either of them if they should try to come to terms: coming to terms is best, while greed is ever present in [our] souls. If you act kindly and do your duty, God will be Informed about anything you do. You will never manage to deal equitably with women no matter how eager you may be [to do so]; yet do not turn completely aside [from one] so you ,leave another in suspense. If you (all) come to terms and do your duty, God will be Forgiving, Merciful. ** Yet if they should separate, God will enrich each out of His abundance; God is Boundless, Wise. * God holds whatever is in Heaven and whatever is on Earth.
We have instructed those who were given the Book before you, and you (all) as well, to heed God. If you should disbelieve, God still owns whatever is in Heaven and whatever is on Earth. God is Transcendent, Praiseworthy! * God holds whatever is in Heaven and whatever is on Earth; God suffices as a Trustee: * if He wished, He might take you people away and bring in others. God is Capable of that! * Anyone who wants a worldly prize [should know] God holds the worldly prize plus another in the Hereafter. God is Alert, Observant.
Oaths and Evidence; Courtroom Procedure
(XX)** You who believe, act steadfast before God as witnesses for fairplay even though it is against yourselves, your own parents and near relatives; whether it concerns a rich or a poor man, God [stands] closer to them both. Do not follow any passion so that you may deal justly. If you swerve about or turn aside, God is still Informed about whatever you do.
* You who believe, believe in God and His messenger, and the Book which He has sent down to His messenger as well as the Book which He had sent down previously. Anyone who disbelieves in God and His angels, His books, His messengers and the Last Day will stray far afield. * Those who believe, then disbelieve, then believe, then [again] disbelieve, then increase in their disbelief, will have no means for God to forgive them nor to guide them in any way.
Lackeys OR Yesmen
* Spread word to hypocrites that they shall have painful torment.
* Do those who enlist disbelievers as sponsors instead of believers, seek [to gain] prestige through them? Prestige rests entirely with God.
** In the Book, He has revealed to you that whenever you hear God's signs disbelieved in and ridiculed, you should not sit with them until they change to some other topic. You would be just like them then! God will gather all the hypocrites and disbelievers into Hell; * such as those who try to catch you off guard, so if you receive some victory from God, they say: "Were we not with you?" Yet if disbelievers have any share [in it], they say: "Did we not help you win, and held off believers from you?" God will judge between you (all) on Resurrection Day; God will never grant disbelievers any way to [harm] believers.
(XXI)* Hypocrites try to outwit God while He is outwitting them! When ever they stand up to pray, they stand up lazily to be seen by other people and seldom mention God, * wavering in between, [leaning] neither towards these nor those. You will never find any way [to follow] someone whom God lets go astray.
* You who believe, do not enlist disbelievers as sponsors, instead o believers. Do you want to give God clear authority against you? ** Hypocrites will stand on the lowest level of the Fire; you will never find an supporter for them * except for those who repent and reform, cling t God and dedicate their religion solely to God. Those stand alongside believers, and God will give believers a splendid wage. * What does God accomplish through your torment, provided you act grateful and believe? God is Appreciative, Aware.
(XXI cont'd)* God does not love evil talk in public unless it is by some who has been injured thereby. God is Alert, Aware. * Whether you reveal any good or hide it, or pardon any evil, God is Pardoning, Capable.
** Those who disbelieve in God and His messengers, and want to distinguish between God and His messengers, and say: 'We believe in some and disbelieve in others;" wanting to adopt a course in between, * are really disbelievers. We have reserved humiliating torment for disbelievers. * Those who believe in God and His messengers, and not single out any one of them [especially], will be given their earnings. God is Forgiving, Merciful.
(XXII)* The People of the Book ask you to have a book sent down from Heaven for them. They asked Moses for something even greater than that, and said: "Show us God directly." The Thunderbolt caught them in wrongdoing.
Then they adopted the Calf even after explanations had come to them. We still pardoned that, and gave Moses clear authority. * We raised the Mountain up over them as their charter, and told them: "Enter the while on your knees." We told them [further]: "Do not go too far on Sabbath," and made a solemn pledge with them.
** Because of their breaking the charter, their disbelief in God's signs their killing the prophets without any right to do so, and their saying: your hearts are covered over," instead, God has stamped them with their disbelief. They only believe a little * because of their disbelief and talking such terrible slander about Mary * and (also) for their saying: "We killed God's messenger Christ Jesus, the son of Mary!" They neither killed nor crucified him, even though it seemed so to them. Those who disagree about it are in doubt concerning it; they have no [real] knowledge about it except by following conjecture. No one is certain they killed him! * Rather God lifted him up towards Himself God is Powerful, Wise!
* There is nobody from the People of the Book but who will believe in him before his death, while on Resurrection Day he will act as a witness against them. ** Because of wrongdoing on the part of those who are Jews, We have forbidden them certain wholesome things which had been permitted them; and because they blocked off so many people from God's way * and took usury although they had been forbidden to, and idly consumed other people's wealth, We have reserved painful torment for those among them who are disbelievers. * Yet those of them who are versed in knowledge, as well as believers, believe in what is sent down to you and what has been sent down [to those] before you; and We shall give a splendid wage to those who keep up prayer and pay the welfare tax, and who believe in God and the Last Day.
(XXIII)* We have inspired you just as We inspired Noah and the prophets following him, and as We inspired Abraham, Ishmael, Isaac, Jacob and the patriarchs, and Jesus, Job, Jonah, Aaron and Solomon; and just as We gave David the Psalms.
* We have told you about some messengers [sent] previously, while other messengers We have not yet told you about-God spoke directly to Moses- ** messengers bringing good news plus a warning so that mankind would have no argument against God once the messengers [had come]. God is Powerful, Wise.
* Nevertheless God bears witness through what He has sent down to you; He sent it down with His (own full) knowledge. And angels so testify, though God suffices as a Witness. * Those who disbelieve and obstruct God's way have strayed far afield. * Those who disbelieve and act wrongfully will not find that God will forgive them nor guide them along any road * except the road to Hell, to remain there for ever. That will be so easy for God [to do]! ** 0 mankind, the Messenger has brought you the Truth from your Lord, so believe, since it is best for you. If you should disbelieve, God still holds whatever is in Heaven and Earth; God is Aware, Wise.
* People of the Book, do not exaggerate in [practising] your religion and tell nothing except the Truth about God. Christ Jesus, the son of Mary, was merely God's messenger and His word which He cast into Mary, and a spirit [proceeding] from Him.
Believe in God [Alone] and His messengers, and do not say: 'Three!" Stopping [it] will be better for you. God is only One God; glory be to Him, beyond His having any son! He owns whatever is in Heaven and whatever is on Earth; God suffices as a Trustee, (XXIV)* The Messiah would never disdain to be God's servant, nor would the angels who are closest. He will summon anyone to Him who disdains to worship Him and acts too proud [for it]. * As for those who believe and perform honorable deeds, He will pay them their earnings and ad even more for them out of His bounty. He will punish those who a scornful and proud with painful torment; they will not find any sponsor themselves nor any supporter besides God. * Mankind, proof has come to you from your Lord; We have sent a clear Light down to you. ** He will show those who believe in God and cling to Him, into mercy and bounty from Himself, and guide them along a Straight Road towards Himself
* They will ask you for your verdict. SAY: "God advises you (all) concerning indirect heirs. If some man should pass away and has no so while he leaves a sister, then she shall have half of anything he may leave while he inherits from her if she has no child. If they are two women [who are sisters], they shall both have two thirds of whatever he may leave. If they are siblings, both men and women.. then each brother shall have the same share as two sisters would have.
God explains things to you
lest you go astray.
God is (all) Aware of everything!