THIS HIGHLY mystic chapter, as the title suggests, deals with Abraham and other prophets. It contains 60 early Meccan verses in three sections, and was revealed after The Dunes 46 and before The Pall 88.
The end (III) concerns divine worship and our duty towards God. SEE also Chapter 77 on [Winds] Sent Forth and The Chargers 100 for similar apocalyptic pictures. The shorter verses are now very apparent.
In the name of God, the Mercy-giving, the Merciful!
(I) By the Winnowing [Winds]
* and those bearing a burden
* and the ones blowing gently
* and those delivering a command,
** whatever you are promised
is certain! Doom
is about to occur!
* By the sky full of orbits, * you (all) have different ways of saying things, * to brush off anyone who may be brushed off. ** Damned will be guessers * who are dazed with excitement.
*They ask: "When will Doomsday be?" * Some day they will be tested over the Fire: "Taste your test! This is what you wanted to hurry up.
The Heedful (Those Who do their Duty)
** The heedful will be in gardens and by springs * partaking of whatever their Lord has given them. They had acted kindly even before that; * they used to slumber only a portion of the night * while in vigils towards dawning they sought forgiveness. * The beggar and the destitute had some right to their wealth.
** On earth there are signs for the convinced, * and even within yourselves; do you not notice them? * In the sky is your sustenance and whatever you are promised; * so by the Lord of Heaven and Earth, it is the Truth just the same as you have been uttering!
(II) * Has the report of Abraham's honored guests ever come to you, ** when they entered his home and said: "Peace [be upon you]!"? He said: "[On you be] peace!" [even though] they were people he did not know. * So he slipped off to his family and fetched a fattened calf, * and brought it up to them. He said: "Will you not eat?"
* He felt a fear concerning them. They said: "Dont be afraid," and gave him the news of a clever lad. * His wife came up sighing, and struck her face and said: "[I'm] a barren old hag!" ** They said: "Even so did your Lord say. He is the Wise, the Aware!
(II cont'd) * He said: "Yet what is your errand, 0 emissaries?" * They said: "We have been sent to a criminal folk, * to launch clay pellets on them * marked by your Lord for the dissipated." ** So We brought out anyone there who were believers, * though We found only one house with Muslims in it. * We left a sign there for those who fear painful torment.
* And with Moses when We sent him off with clear authority to Pharaoh, * who turned away with his warlords and said: "[He's either] a magician or a madman!" ** We seized him and his troops and hurled them into the deep while he was to blame.
Moses and Other Prophets
* And with Ad, when We loosed a devastating wind on them: * it left nothing that it chanced upon without turning it into rubble. * And with Thamud when someone told them: "Enjoy things for a while!" * They strutted around against their Lord's command, as the Thunderbolt caught them while they were looking on. ** They were unable to withstand it nor were they supported. * And Noah's people had already been such immoral folk.
(III) * The sky We have built firmly and We are extending it. * The earth have We spread out; how Blissful is the One Who has smoothed it off! * With everything We have created pairs so that you may be reminded; ** so flee to God: "I am a plain warner to you from Him!
* "Do not place any other deity alongside God [Alone]: I am a plain warner to you from Him. * Thus no messenger ever came to those who preceded them unless they said: '[He's] a magician or a madman!' * Do they recommend it to one another? Yet they are such arrogant folk. * Turn away from them; you are not to blame! ** Remind, for reminding benefits believers."
Man's Duty Towards God
* I have only created sprites and men so they may worship Me; * I do not want any sustenance from them nor do I need them to feed me. * God is the Provider, wielding sturdy strength. * The ones who do wrong have offences just like their companions' offences, so do not let them ask Me to hurry things up. ** It will be too bad for those who disbelieve on their day which has been promised them!
Published with authorization from Dr.T.B.Irving.