THIS CHAPTER contains 165 late Meccan verses arranged in twenty sections. Verses 60, 63, 91, 114, 141 and 151-153 however all date from Madina. The chapter was revealed after Stoneland 15 and before (Drawn Up In) Ranks 37. Livestock here comprises first of all camels, then bovine cattle, sheep and goats which are all mentioned in sections XVI & XVII as having been dedicated to other deities than God Alone; consequently their presence in sacrifice did not help advance the cause of true religion.
The beginning sections and xvi deal with the sin of associating other things in our worship of God Alone. The chapter contains several lyric descriptions of the Deity, such as "Keys to the Unseen" (VII). Two important statements are made on the subject of tolerance in vi and xiii. What might be called an Islamic decalogue or Ten Commandments, and God's Straight Road are found in XIX. The final section (XX) is with pregnant meaning.
(I)* Praise be to God, Who created Heaven and Earth and granted darkness and light! Yet those who disbelieve make other things equal to their Lord. * He is the One Who has created you (all) from clay; then fixed a term. A deadline has been set by Him, yet you go on doubting! * He is God in (both) Heaven and Earth. He knows your secrets and anything you publish; He knows whatever you earn.
* Not one of their Lord's signs ever reaches them except they shun it. ** They have rejected Truth whenever it came to them, yet (more) news will reach them concerning what they have been making fun of. * Have they not seen how many generations We wiped out whom we had established on earth before them in a way We did not establish you? We sent [water down from] the sky upon them in torrents and let rivers flow beneath them; and yet We wiped them out because of their offences and raised up other generations to succeed them.
* Even though We sent you down something written on a papyrus scroll so they might touch it with their own hands, those who would still say: "This is just sheer magic!' * They say: "If an angel only sent down to him!" Yet if We were to send an angel down, the matter would be settled; then they would no longer be allowed to wait. We made him into an angel, We would have made him a man a swell, to confuse them just as they confuse themselves. ** Messengers have been scoffed at before you, till whatever they were ridiculing swept in around those who had been doing the scoffing.
(II)* SAY: "Travel around the earth and see what the outcome was for those who denied [it all]."
* SAY: "Who owns whatever is in Heaven and Earth?" SAY: "God does. He has prescribed mercy for Himself so He may gather you in on Resurrection Day, concerning which there is no doubt. Yet those who have lost their souls will never believe. * He has anything that rests at night and by daylight. He is the Alert, Aware." * SAY: "Shall I adopt someone as a patron besides God, the Deviser of the Heavens and Earth? He feeds [everybody], yet is not fed!" SAY: "I have been ordered to be the first who has committed himself to (live at) peace. Do not be an associator!"
** SAY: "I fear the torment of an awful day if I should disobey my Lord." * He will show mercy to anyone who is spared on that day: that will be the clear Triumph. * If God should let any harm touch you, no one would remove it except He Himself; while if He should let some good touch you, well He is Capable of everything. * He is the Irrresistible, [High] above His servants. He is the Wise, the Informed.
God is One
* SAY: "What thing is most important as evidence?" SAY: "God is a Witness for both me and you. This Reading has been revealed to me so that I may warn you (all) by means of it, as well as anyone it may reach. Do you testify that there are other gods along with God?" SAY: "I will not swear so!" SAY: "He is God Alone, while I am innocent of whatever you associate [with Him]." ** Those whom We have given the Book know Him just as they recognize their own sons; [yet] those who have lost their souls will never believe.
Association is Wrong
(III)* Who is worse off than someone who invents a lie about God or has rejected His signs? Wrongdoers will never prosper. * Some day We will summon them all together, then tell those who have associated [others with Us]: 'Where are your associates which you have been claiming [to have]?" * Then there will be no test for them unless they say: "By God our Lord, we have not been associators!" * See how they lie even about themselves! Whatever they have invented has misled them.
** Some of them listen to you even though We have placed wrappings over their hearts and dullness in their ears lest they should understand it. Even if they saw every sign, they still would not believe in them; so whenever they come to you, they argue with you. Those who disbelieve say: 'These are only legends by primitive people." * They try to refute it and remain aloof from it; yet they only destroy their own souls while they do not even notice it! * If you could see when they are set before the Fire and say: "Alas, if we might only be sent back and had not rejected our Lord's signs, and we had been believers!"
* Rather what they had been hiding previously has appeared to them; even though they were sent back, they would still return to what they have been forbidden. They are such liars! * They say: "Only our worldly life exists; we will not be raised up again." ** If you could only see as they are made to stand before their Lord! He will say: "Isn't this real?" They will say: "Of course, by our Lord!" He will say: "Taste torment, since you have been disbelieving!"
(IV)* Those who deny [they will have] any meeting with God have already lost out, so that when the Hour comes suddenly upon them, they will say: 'Have pity on us for how we neglected it!" They will carry their burdens on their own backs. Is not whatever they bear something evil?
* What does worldly life mean except some sport and amusement? The future Home is better for those who do their duty. Will you (all) not use your reason? * We well know how anything they say saddens you. Yet they are not rejecting merely you, but wrongdoers even repudiate God's signs. * Messengers before you have been rejected, yet they held firm on being rejected and abused, until Our support came to them. There is no way to change God's words! News from (other) emissaries has already come to you. ** If their reluctance bears so heavily upon you, then how would it be if you managed to bore a tunnel through the earth or to climb a ladder up to Heaven, and brought a sign to them? If God so wished, He would gather them together for guidance; so do not act so ignorant as well. Only those who listen will respond, plus the dead whom God will raise; then unto Him will they return,
* They say: "If a sign were only sent down to him by his Lord!" SAY: "God is Able to send down a sign, even though most of them will not know it." * There is no animal [walking] on earth nor any bird flying on its wings unless they exist as communities like yourselves. We have not neglected anything in the Book; then to their Lord will they be summoned. * Those who reject Our signs are deaf and dumb, [groping along] in darkness. God lets anyone He wishes go astray, while He sets anyone He wishes upon a Straight Road.
** SAY: 'Have you considered whether, once God's torment comes to you (all) or the Hour comes to you, you will appeal to someone instead of God if you are so truthful?" * Rather it is to Him you will appeal and if He wishes, He will remove whatever you have appealed to Him about, and you will forget what you have associated [with Him].
(V)* We sent [word] to nations before you and seized them with suffering and hardship so that they might act submissively. * Why then did they not act submissive when Our violence came to them, but instead their hearts were hardened and Satan made whatever they were doing seem attractive to them? * So once they forgot what they had been reminded of, We opened up the doors to everything for them until just when they were happiest with what they had been given, We caught them suddenly and there they were confounded! ** The last remnant of the folk who had been doing wrong was cut off. Praise be to God, Lord of the Universe!
* SAY: "Have you (all) considered whether, if God should snatch away your hearing and your eyesight, and sealed off your hearts, who is the god besides God [Himself] who can give them back to you?" Watch how We deal out signs, yet they still keep aloof * SAY: "Have you yourselves considered whether, if God's torment should come to you suddenly or openly, any except wrong-doing folk would be wiped out?" * We do not send any emissaries except as newsbearers and warners. Anyone who believes and reforms should have no fear nor will they be saddened, *while punishment will alight on those who reject Our signs because how of immoral they have been.
** SAY: "I do not say God's treasures lie with me nor do I know the Unseen, nor do I even tell you I am an angel. I merely follow what has been inspired in me." SAY: "Are the blind and the sighted man equal? Will you not think such matters over?"
(VI)* Warn those who fear that they will be summoned to their Lord concerning it: they will have no patron nor any intercessor besides Him- so that they may do their duty.
* Do not drive away those who appeal to their Lord, wanting His presence in the early morning and the evening. You have nothing to do with their reckoning, while they have nothing to do with your reckoning. Should you drive them off, you would be a wrongdoer.
*Even so do We try some of them by means of others, so they may say: "Are those the ones among us towards whom God has been gracious? Is God not quite Aware as to who are grateful?"
* Whenever those who believe in Our signs come to you, SAY: "Peace be upon you!" Your Lord has prescribed mercy for Himself so He will be Forgiving, Merciful to any of you who commits evil out of ignorance, then repents later on and reforms. ** Thus We spell out signs so the criminals' way may be evident.
(VII)* SAY: "I am forbidden to serve those whom you appeal to instead of to God." SAY: "I do not follow your whims: in that case I would go astray and not be guided." *SAY: "I am [looking] for evidence from my Lord while you have rejected it. I do not have what you are trying to hurry up; discretion lies only with God. He relates the Truth and is the best Decider." * SAY: "If I had what you seek to hurry up, the matter would have been settled between me and you. God is quite Aware as to who a wrongdoers."
Keys to The Unseen
* He holds the keys to the Unseen;
only He knows them! He knows
whatever exists on land and at sea;
no leaf drops down unless He knows it,
nor any seed [lies] in the darkness of the earth,
nor any tender [shoot] nor any withered [stalk]
unless it is [written down] in a clear Book.
** He is the One Who gathers you (all) in at night.
He knows what you have accomplished by day;
then He revives you in it
so a stated period may be fulfilled.
Then your return will be unto Him,
when He will notify you
about whatever you have been doing.
More on God
(VIII) * He is the Irresistible,
[reigns Supreme] Above His servants!
He sends guardians [to watch] over you
so that whenever death comes for one of you,
Our messengers will gather him in.
They will not neglect [their duty];
* then they will be sent back to God,
their true Patron.
Surely discretion belongs to Him!
He is the Swiftest Reckoner.
* SAY: "Who saves you from darkness on land and at sea?" You appeal to Him beseeching and in secret: "If He will rescue us from this, we'll be so grateful!"
* SAY: "God will rescue you from it, and from all anxiety. Yet you still associate zothers with Himd!"
** SAY: "He is Able to send torment down upon you or from underneath your feet, or to confuse you with factions and make some of you experience the violence of others."
Watch how We handle signs so that they may understand. * Even so our folk reject it although it is the Truth.
SAY: 'I am no administrator set up over you. * Every piece of news has some purpose, as you shall realize."
* Whenever you see those who speculate about Our signs, avoid them till they speculate about some other topic of conversation. Even if Satan should cause you to forget [to do so], still do not sit around with such wrongful folk once you remember. * Those who do their duty are not accountable for them in any way except to remind [them], so that they [in turn] may do their duty.
** Stay away from those who take their religion as a sport and amusement. Worldly life has lured them on. Remind [them] of it lest any soul become reckless because of what he has earned; he will have no patron nor any other intercessor besides God. Even if he were to proffer every alternative, such would not be accepted from him. Those who let themselves act recklessly concerning what they have earned must drink boiling water and suffer painful torment because of how they have disbelieved.
(IX)* SAY: "Should we appeal to something that can neither benefit nor harm us, instead of to God? Shall we turn on our heels now that God has guided us, bewildered like someone whom the devils have enticed away on earth, while his companions are calling him to guidance: 'Come to us!'?"
SAY: "God's guidance means [real] guidance. We have been ordered to commit ourselves peacefully to the Lord of the Universe. * 'Keep up prayer and heed Him!' He is the One before Whom you will (all) be summoned. * He is the One Who really created Heaven and Earth. Any day He says: 'Be!'; then it is!
"His speech [means] the Truth and He will hold control on the day when the Trumpet is sounded. Knowing the Unseen and Visible, He is wise, Informed."
Abraham's Search for God
* Thus Abraham said to his father Azar: "Do you accept idols as gods? I see you and your folk are in obvious error." ** Therefore We showed Abraham sovereignty over Heaven and Earth so he might feel reassured.
* When night descended on him, he saw a star. He said: "Will this be my lord?" So when it set, he said: "I do not like setting things."
* So then as he saw the moon rising, he said: "Will this be my lord?"; and when it set, he said: "If my Lord did not guide me, I would be a member of the lost folk."
* So when he saw the sun rising (again), he said: "Will this be my lord? This is [even] greater." As it set, he said: "My people, I am innocent of what you associate [with God]! I have turned my face enquiringly to Him Who originated Heaven and Earth. I am no associator."
** His people argued with him. He said: "Are you arguing with me concerning God, while He has guided me? I do not fear what you associate with Him, unless my Lord should wish for something else. My Lord comprises everything in knowledge. Will you not be reminded? * How should I fear what you associate [with Him] while you do not fear having associated something with God for which He has not sent you down any authority? Which of either group deserves more security, if you know anything? * Those who believe and do not cloak their faith in wrongdoing will feel more secure and will be [better] guided."
(X)* Such was Our argument which We furnished Abraham with against his folk: We raise anyone We wish to in rank. Your Lord is Wise, Aware. * We bestowed Isaac and Jacob on him; each We guided. Noah We had guided before, and from his offspring [came] David, Solomon, Job, Joseph, Moses and Aaron; thus We reward those who act kindly. ** Zachariah, John, Jesus and Elijah were all honorable men. * And Ishmael, Elisha, Jonah and Lot; each We preferred over [everybody else in] the Universe. We picked out some of their forefathers, their offspring and their brethren, and guided them to a Straight Road.
* Such is God's guidance: He thereby guides any of His servants He may wish. If they had associated [others with Him], whatever they were doing would have collapsed on them. * Those are the ones to whom We have given the Book, along with discretion and prophethood; if such men should disbelieve in it, then We will entrust it to a folk who will not disbelieve in it. ** Such are the ones whom God has guided, so copy their guidance. SAY: 'I do not ask you any fee for it; it is only a Reminder to [everybody in] the Universe!"
(XI)* They do not value God the way He should be valued when they say: 'God has not sent down anything to a human being." SAY: "Who sent down the Book which Moses came with, as Light and guidance for mankind? You publish it on (separate) sheets to show it around, while you (also) hide a great deal [of it].
You have been taught what neither you yourselves nor your forefathers ever knew." SAY: "God [has sent it];" then leave them toying away with their speculation.
* This is a blessed Book We have sent down to confirm whatever came before it, so you may warn the Mother of Towns and anyone around her. Those who believe in the Hereafter believe in it and attend to their prayer. * Yet who is more in the wrong than someone who invents a lie about God? Or says: "Something has been revealed to me... ", while nothing has been revealed to him; and who says: "I shall send down the same as God has sent down"?
If you could only see when wrongdoers are in their death throes and the angels stretch forth their hands: "Away with your souls! Today you are awarded the torment of shame because you have been saying something that is not true about God. You have acted too proud for His signs". * You have (all) come to Us individually, now, just as We created you in the first place. You have left behind what We conferred on you, nor do We see your intercessors alongside you whom you claimed were associated with you. They have been cut off from you, and what you have been claiming has merely led you astray!"
Proof of God
(XII)** God is the One
Who splits the seed and kernel,
He brings the living from the dead, and is the One
Who brings the dead from the living.
Such is God; yet still you shrug Him off!
* Kindler of morn, He grants night for repo
and the sun and moon for telling time.
Such is the measure of the Powerful, the Aware!
He is the One Who has placed the stars
to guide you through darkness on land and at sea,
We have spelled out signs for people who know!
* It is He Who has reproduced you from a single soul,
and [granted you] a settlement [on earth]
and a resting place [after death].
We have spelled out signs for people who understand.
*It is He Who sends down water from the sky. Thus We bring forth plants of every type with it; We produce green vegetation from it. We produce grain from it piled tight packed on one another, and from the datepalm, clusters close at hand produced from its pollen, as well as orchards full of grapes, olives and pomegranates, which are so similar and yet dissimilar. Look at their fruit as He causes it to grow and ripen.
In that are signs for folk who believe.
*** They have set up sprites as associates with God, even though created them!
They have even dared to impute sons and daughters to Him without having any knowledge. Glory be to Him; Exalted is He over whatever they describe!
(XIII)* Deviser of Heaven and earth! How can He save a son while He has no consort? He created everything and is aware of everything!
God the Creator of Everything
*Such is God, your Lord;
there is no deity except Him,
the Creator of everything,
so serve Him. He is
a Trustee for everything!
The Limits of Responsibility
* No powers of vision can comprehend Him, while He comprehends [all] vision; He is the Subtle, the Informed. * Insights have come to you from your Lord; anyone who observes [them] does so for his own sake, while anyone who acts blindly has himself to blame. I am not [setup as] any guardian over you.
** Thus we spell out signs so they will say: "You have been studying!"; and so We may explain it to folk who know. * Follow whatever has been revealed to you by your Lord; there is no deity except Him. Avoid anyone who associates [others with God]. * If God had so wished, they would not have associated [anything with Him]. We have not set you up guardian over them, nor are you an administrator for them.
* Do not insult those they appeal to instead of to God, lest they insult God as an enemy without even realizing it. Thus We have made their action seem attractive to every nation; then their return shall be to their Lord, so He may notify them about how the have been acting.
* They swear by God with their stiffest oaths that if a sign were given them, they would believe in it. SAY: "Signs belong only to God.' What will make you perceive that even when they are given them, they will still believe? ** We upset their vital organs and their eyesight since they did not believe it in the first place. We will leave them groping along in their arrogance.
(XIV)* Even though We were to send angels down to them and the dead were to speak to them, and We mustered everything against them, they still would not believe unless God so wishes; yet most of them act so out of ignorance. * Thus We have granted each messenger an opponent, devils from humankind and sprites, some of whom have inspired others with seductive talk in order to deceive them. If your Lord had so wished, they would not have done so; so leave them alone as well as anything they may be inventing. * Let the vital organs of those who do not believe in the Hereafter incline towards it, and let them feel satisfied with it and acquire whatever they may be acquiring.
* Should I crave someone besides God to settle matters? He is the One Who has sent the Book down to you to set things forth in detail. Those whom We have given the Book recognize that it has been sent down from your Lord with the Truth, so do not be a doubter. ** Your Lord's word has been completed so far as [its] credibility and justice are concerned; there is no way to change His words. He is the Alert, the Aware. * If you obeyed most of those who are on earth, they would lead you astray from God's path; they only follow conjecture and are merely guessing. * You Lord is quite Aware as to who is straying from is path, just as He is quite Aware as to who are guided.
Saying Grace Over Food
* So eat whatever God's name has been mentioned over if you are believers in His signs. * What is wrong with you that you do not eat something God's name has been mentioned over? He has spelled out for you what has been forbidden you-unless you are obliged to [eat it]. Many [people] lead others astray through their own passions without having any knowledge; your Lord is quite Aware as to who are disobedient. ** Leave off obvious vice and its inner source; those who acquire a vice will be rewarded for whatever they may have committed. * Do not eat anything over which God's name has not been mentioned; it is so immoral! The devils inspire their adherents to argue with you; if you (all) obeyed them, you would become associators [of others in your worship of God Alone].
(XV) * Is someone who has been dead and whom We revived and granted light to so he may walk among people with it, to be compared to someone who is in such darkness he cannot leave it? Thus anything they have been doing seems attractive to disbelievers.
* Thus We have granted each town great men who are its criminals, to plot away in it. They merely plot against themselves and do not even notice it. * Whenever some sign comes to them, they say: "We will never believe until we are given the same as God's messengers were given." God is quite Aware as to where He should place His message; belittlement by God and stern torment will strike those who commit crimes because of what they have been plotting.
** God lays anyone's breast open to Islam whom He wants to guide, while He makes the breast of anyone He wants to be led astray seem cramped, tight, just as if he were climbing up to Heaven. Thus God places a blight on those who do not believe. * This is your Lord's Straight Road. We have spelled out signs for folk who remember: * they will have a peaceful home with their Lord; He will be their Patron because of what they have been doing.
* Some day He will summon them all together: "O company of sprites, you have required too much from humankind." Their adherents among humanity will say: "Our Lord, some of us have taken advantage of one another, and have [now] reached our deadline which You appointed for us." He will say: "The Fire will be your lodging to live in for ever, except for whatever God may wish. Your Lord is Wise, Aware." * Thus We let some wrongdoers manage others because of what they had been earning. (XVI)** "O company of sprites and humankind, have not messengers from among yourselves come to relate My signs to you and warn you about a meeting on this day of yours?" They will say: "We bear witness even against ourselves." Worldly life has lured them on and they bear witness against themselves for having been disbelievers.
* That is because your Lord will not destroy any towns unjustly while their people are heedless: * everyone will have ranks according to what they have been doing. Your Lord is not oblivious of what they are doing. * Your Lord is Transcendent, the Master of Mercy; if He so wished, He would remove you and bring replacements for you in any way He wishes, just as He has produced you from the offspring of other people.* What you are promised is coming; you will never avert it.
Association is Deceitful
** SAY: "My people, act according to your situation; I [too] am Acting! You will know who will have the Home as a result. The fact is that wrongdoers will not prosper. * They grant God a share in what He has produced such as crops and livestock, and they say: "This is God's,' according to their claim, and: "This is our associates'." Anything that is meant for their associates never reaches God, while what is God's reaches their associates (too); how evil is whatever they decide! * Even so, their associates have made killing their children seem attractive to many associators, to lead them on to ruin and to confuse their religion for them. If God so wishes, they would not do so; so leave them alone and whatever they are inventing.
* They say: "This livestock and (these) crops are taboo; only someone we wish to may eat them!", according to their claim. There are some livestock whose backs one is forbidden to ride, as well as (other) livestock over which God's name has not been mentioned, as something invented despite Him. He will reward them according to what they have been inventing. * They say: "What is in this livestock's bellies is reserved exclusively for our menfolk, and forbidden to our wives." Yet if it is stillborn, then they may be partners in it!
He will reward them for their description; He is Wise, Aware.
** Those who have stupidly killed their own children without having any knowledge and forbidden something God has provided them with, have lost out through inventing things about God; they have gone astray and not accepted guidance.
(XVII)* He it is Who has produced gardens, both trellised and untrellised, and datepalms and field crops whose food [tastes] different, as well as olives and pomegranates which are so alike and yet so unlike! Eat some of their fruit as they ripen, and give away whatever they ought to on their harvest day. Yet do not overdo things for He does not love extravagant people.
* Some livestock is for transport and some meant for use at home. Eat anything God has provided you with and do not follow in Satan's footsteps, for he is an open enemy of yours, * Eight exist in pairs: two [pairs] of sheep and two of goats. SAY: "Does He forbid both males or both females, or what the females' wombs contain? Inform me scientifically if you are so truthful! * Camels also [come] in twos and cattle in twos. SAY: "Did He forbid both males or both females, or what both females' wombs contain? Were you witnesses when God instructed you concerning this? Who does more harm than someone who invents a lie about God, so he may lead mankind astray without having any knowledge? God does not guide wrong-doing folk.
(XVIII)** SAY: "I do not find anything forbidden in what has been revealed to me for anyone needing to eat something, unless it is something that has died [by itself] or it is blood which has already been shed, or pork-that is so filthy!-or a sinful offering that has been consecrated to something besides God.
RestrictionsConcerning anyone who is obliged to do so, without either meaning to disobey nor exceeding his [barest] needs, your Lord is Forgiving, Merciful.
* We have forbidden those who are Jews everything having a claw, and in the case of cattle, sheep and goats, We have forbidden them their tallow, unless it is located in their backs or intestines, or what is mingled with their bones. That is how We have rewarded them because of their insolence. We are Truthful; * so if they should reject you, then say: 'Your Lord possesses boundless Mercy. His might will not be withheld from criminal folk,"
* Those who associate [others in their worship of God) will say: 'I God had so wished, neither we nor our forefathers would have associated [anything with Him] nor have forbidden anything." Even so did those before them reject [Us] until they tasted Our might. SAY: "Have you (all) any knowledge? Then bring it here for us! Why, you only follow conjecture; you are merely guessing!"
* SAY: "God holds the convincing argument; if He so wished, He would have guided every one of you." ** SAY: "Produce your witnesses who will testify that God has forbidden this!" If they so testify, still do not testify along with them nor follow the whims of those who reject Our signs and do not believe in the Hereafter. They make all things equal to their Lord!
(XIX)* SAY: 'Come close, I will recite what your Lord has forbidden you:
And [show] kindness towards both [your] parents.
Do not kill your children because of poverty; We shall provide for as well as for them.
Do not indulge in shocking acts which you may practise either openly or keep secret.
Do not kill any person whom God has forbidden, except through [due process of] law. He has instructed you in this so that you may use your reason.
* Do not approach an orphan's estate before he comes of age, except to improve it.
Grant full measure and weight in all fairness. We do not assign person to do more than he can cope with.
Whenever you speak, be just even though it concerns a close relative.
Fulfil God's agreement. Thus has He instructed you so that you may bear it in mind.
The Straight Road
* This is My Straight Road, so follow it and do not follow [other] paths which will separate you from His path. Thus has He instructed you so that you may do your duty.
* Then We gave Moses the Book as a fulfilment for someone who acts kindly, and an analysis of everything, as well as for guidance and mercy so they may believe about meeting their Lord. (XX)** This is a Blessed Book We have sent down, so follow it and do your duty so that you may receive mercy, * lest you say: "The Book was sent down to only two factions before us. We have been unaware of what they study." * Or you may say: "If the Book had been sent down to us, We would be better guided than they are."
Evidence has now come to you from your Lord, as well as guidance and mercy. Who is more in the wrong than someone who rejects God's signs and even evades them? We will reward those who evade Our signs with the worst torment because they have acted so evasive. * Are they only waiting for angels to come to them or for your Lord to arrive, or for some of your Lord's signs to come? On the day when some of your Lord's signs arrive, belief in them will not benefit any person who has not believed in them already, nor earned some good through his [profession of] faith.
SAY: "Wait; we too are waiting!"
* Concerning those who permit divisions in their religion and form sects, you should have nothing to do with them in any way. Their case rests entirely with God; soon He will notify them about whatever they have been doing.
** Anyone who comes with a fine deed
will have ten more like it,
while anyone who comes with an evil deed
will only be rewarded with its like;
they will not be treated unjustly.
Abraham* SAY: "As for me, my Lord has guided me along a Straight Road, [leading to] an established religion, the creed of Abraham the Enquirer.
* SAY: "My prayer and my devotion,
my living and my dying,
(all) belong to God, Lord of the Universe;
* no associate has He,
with that am I commanded,
and I am the first of the Muslims."
* SAY: "Should I seek some other lord than God, while He is Lord of Everything? Each soul is responsible only for its own self, while no burdened [soul] shall bear another's burden. Soon your return will be unto your Lord, so He may advise you concerning whatever you have been differing over.
** "He is the One Who has placed you as overlords on earth and raised some of you higher than others in rank so He may test you by means of what He has given you. Your Lord is Swift in punishment; yet He is Forgiving, Merciful."
Published with authorization from Dr.T.B.Irving.