(i) * By those who snatch [men's souls] away
at their last gasp * and others
who act more nimbly
* as well as those floating by,
* and still others racing past,
** to regulate some matter!
* Some day a rumbling will be felt;
* another will follow on its heels!
* Hearts will be pounding on that day;
* their sight will be downcast.
** They will say: "Will we be restored to our original state
* once we are crumbled bones?"
*They say: 'That would then be a losing proposition! * There would only be a single rebuke * and then they would never be able to sleep again!
Moses and Pharaoh
** Has Moses' story ever come to you, * when his Lord called to him by the sacred valley of Tuwa? * "Go off to Pharaoh; he has acted arrogantly. * SAY: 'Would you care to be purified * and for me to guide you to your Lord so you may [learn to] dread [Him]?"'
** He showed him the greatest sign. * Yet he denied and defied it; * then he turned away to try his best. * He summoned, and called out, * and said: "I am your supreme Llord!" ** God seized him as an example in (both) the Hereafter and from the First [life]. * In that there lies a lesson for anyone who dreads [retribution].
(ii) * Were you harder to creat, or the sky He has raised? * He has lifted its canopy up and smoothed it off. * He darkens its night and brings forth its morning glow; ** and the earth has He spread out besides, * and produced its water and its pasturage from it. * The mountains has He anchored * as an enjoyment for you and for your livestock.
* When the greatest calamity comes along, ** on the day when everyman will remember whatever he has tried to accomplish, * and Hades will loom forth for anyone to see, * anyone who has acted arrogantly and preferred worldly life * will have Hades for a dwelling place. ** Anyone who has been afraid to stand before his Lord and restrained himself from passion, * will have the Garden for a dwelling place.
The Final Hour
* They will ask you about the Hour: "When will it come to pass? * Why are you reminding us about it?" * It lies up to your Lord to set it. ** You are merely a warner for anyone who dreads it; * just as some day they shall see they have hung around for only an evening, or its morning glow.
Published with authorization from Dr.T.B.Irving .