THESE 19 EARLY Meccan verses were revealed after [Soul-]Snatchers 79 and before Splitting Open 84. Like the previous chapter, this one also deals with Doomsday. The late Professor Nicholson observes on p. 167 (n. 2) in his Literary History of the Arabs that this passage is written in "true prophetic style". Zamakhshari tells how it brings God's abundant mercy whenever it is recited.
* When the sky bursts apart
* when planets are strewn around,
* when the seas spill forth,
* when graves are overturned,
** [each] soul will know what it sent on ahead
and has left behind.
* O man, what has lured you away from your generous Lord * Who created you, fashioned you and proportioned you * in whatever shape He wished? He has put your frame together.
* Nevertheless you still reject religion! ** Yet over you (all) there stand * some noble guardians, * writing it all down; * they know anything you do.
* The virtuous shall be in bliss, * while the loose-living will be in
Hades; ** they shall roast there on the Day for Repayment, * they will
never be led out of it.
* What will make you realize what the Day for Repayment is?
* Again, what will make you realize what the Day for Repayment will be like?
* [It is] a day when no soul
will control anything in favor
of any other soul;God [Alone]
will hold command on that day!
Published with authorization from Dr.T.B.Irving.