The chapter concerns the Christians who lived in the Najran highlands to the south of the Hijaz, north of Yaman and east of the Red Sea before Islam; they were massacred by Dhu-Nuwas, a Jewish king of Yaman, by being burned alive in the year 570 A.D., when the Prophet had just been bom.
* By the sky holding constellations
* and the promised day,
* and a witness plus his evidence,
* the diggers of the Trench will be slain!
** The fire was full of fuel * as they were crouching over it, * and themselves were witnesses of what they were doing to believers. * They persecuted them merely because they believed in God, the Powerful, the Praiseworthy, * Who holds control over Heaven and Earth. God is a Witness for everything!
** Those who harass believing men and women, then do not repent, will have Hell's torment; they will have the torment of burning. * The ones who believe and perform honorable deeds will have gardens through which rivers flow; that will be the great Achievement.
* Nevertheless your Lord's onslaught will be severe; * He is the One Who originates [matters], then repeats them all over again. * He is the Forgiving, the Affectionate, ** Possessor of the Majestic Throne, * Doer of anything He wants.
* Has the report on the armies ever come to you, * about Pharaoh and Thamud? * Rather those who disbelieve [persist] in denial ** while God comes sweeping in behind them.
* Still it is a majestic Reading
* [preserved] on a guarded tablet!
Published with authorization from Dr.T.B.Irving .