In the name of God, the Mercy-giving, the Merciful !
* By the Daybreak * and ten nights
* and the even and the odd,
* and night as it journeys on,
** does that not contain an oath
for someone who is mindful?
* Have you not seen how your Lord
dealt with Ad, * [the people of] Iram,
possessing columns * whose like
had never been created in the land?
* And Thamud who carved rock out of the valley;
** and Pharaoh wielding kingpins
* who were (all) so arrogant in the land
* and increased corruption there?
* Your Lord unleashed the scourge of torment on them.
* Your Lord is ever on the lookout! ** Yet everyman says, whenever his Lord tests him by honoring and favoring him: "My Lord has honored me!"; * while whenever He tests him by rationing His sustenance for him, he says: "My Lord has disgraced me."
* Rather you are not generous with the orphan * nor do you promote feeding the needy, * and greedily use up anything you inherit. ** You love money till it's brimming over!
Indeed when the earth has been completely flattened out * and your Lord comes with the angels, row upon row, * and brings up Hell on that day; on that day everyman will remember, as if remembrance even matters to him! * He will say: "It's too bad for me! What did I send on ahead during my lifetime?"
** On that day, no one will torment [anyone] with torment like His, * and no one will hold to any agreement as he will hold to His!
The Tranquil Soul
* O Tranquil soul,
* return to your Lord
well pleased and pleasing [Him]!
* Enter among My servants,
** and. enter My garden.
Published with authorization from Dr.T.B.Irving