* By night as it broods,
* and daylight when things seem radiant,
* and whatever has created
the male and the female,
* your effort has been too diffuse.
** For anyone who gives (generously], performs his duty
* and acts charitably in the finest manner
* We shall facilitate an easy way for him;
* while anyone who acts miserably,
and feels he is self-sufficient
and rejects the finest [things in life]
** We shall make it easy for him
(to go] the hard way. * His money
will not help him out as he stumbles along.
* Guidance is Our concern:
* to Us belongs the Hereafter
and the very First [of life];
* so I have warned you (all)
about a raging fire.
** Only the most wretched will roast in it,
* the one who rejects [the Message]
and turns away; * while the most heedful
will keep away from it,
* the one who gives his money away
and (thereby) purifies himself
* No one is awarded any favor by Him
** except through seeking the countenance
of his Lord, the All-Highest.
[Such a man] shall meet approval.
Published with authorization from Dr.T.B.Irving.